Saturday, July 20, 2013

Torrington Fair Connecticut book signing experience.

I had a great experience at a book signing at the Torrington Fair. I never expected to meet an ex - navy sailor whose ship docked in Haifa port , Israel at the time I was living there and he purchased my non-fiction novel about Israel. We got to talking about his experiences in Israel and he told me that the best pizza place he ever visited was in Haifa Israel on Mount Carmel next to the USO office in Haifa. I told him that Anglo's who lived in Israel thought the same way and it was delicious and unique because the Arab cook who made the pizza used the middle eastern spice mixture called Za'tar - a mixture of oregano, basil , thyme , sumac, sesame . and Israeli olive oil which is very light.- We both couldn't believe that in the middle of Torrington we agreed that the best pizza in the world to our collective knowledge was in Haifa. I told him that being in the home hospitality program for American sailors at the time I was invited on his ship- the Enterprise ( 1980's) when it docked in port. He then purchased my book - "Leaving Home Going home Returning Home : A Hebrew American's Sojourn in the Land of Israel." You never know.

No comments: